Friday, July 25, 2014

Seminar on Sustainable Kolkata at Lincoln Room

The Indo American Chamber of Commerce organised a seminar yesterday at Lincoln Room, American Centre. This was on Making Kolkata a Sustainable City. Dr Joysree Roy of Jadavpur University and I were the panel speakers who were joined later by Skype by two others in US. Mr Sudipta Das of E&Y was the moderator. Director American Centre (JJ) spoke too at the beginning.
I spoke about the need for upgrading existing cities, making new towns and also making both old and new towns smart cities. I talked of post independence new town projects: Durgapur, Kalyani, Bidhannagar and New Town Kolkata. I mentioned that we were considering the following towns to be made smart towns under the Centre's 100 smart City programme:
Jaigaon, Phulbari, Raghunathpur, Gangasagar, New Town, Baruipur, Kalyani, Bolpur, Durgapur and Debanandapur.
I went straight to Howrah Railway Station from the seminar even while Skype with a panelist was going on. I took the Bombay Mail for going to Raipur from where I am writing this post now.

No comments:

Post a Comment