Thursday, November 21, 2013

"The City as a Canvas"

Mr Sam Hoey met me at UD Department today. He is part of a UK delegation that is visiting Kolkata for a workshop / seminar. He, alongwith four others, had visited Writers' Buildings this morning to see how its renovation work is planned. After this, Mr Hoey met me, made a presentation to say that the city itself is a canvas and many artists and designers were choosing the city as their canvas where buildings, bridges, footpaths and stations provide creative spaces.

Long time back, I was introduced to a French innovator who called himself a light sculptor. Today, Mr Hoey explained how art, architecture and interactive design could bring up interesting ideas. In particualar, I liked the projects of (i) waterless fountains, (ii) wind powered light stalks and (iiii) city gateway.

Sam Hoey and me:
at Nagarayan, Salt Lake
Mr Hoey went to Eco Park thereafter. I'm told, he quite liked it.
* * *
Here is a clipping from yesterday's Times of India:



No comments:

Post a Comment