|Road Map of New Town: red dots show accident-prone junctions. Size of circle represents gravity of problem.|
It was decided that BUIDL (A JV between UD Department and IL&FS) would do a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on steps required to be taken to cope with the unique issues of New Town that has to take care of trunk traffic to Airport from Kolkata, pockets of dense habitation (Action Area 1, around City Centre 2, around Sukhobrishti and around Unitech/ DLF/ Eco Space) and underused wide good roads. The conflict happens when speeding vehicles in relatively less populated areas clash with dense traffic areas. BUIDL has been requested to co-ordinate with and take inputs from Hidco, NKDA, Police and Transport Department. A joint field inspection is scheduled on Mondat 29th August.
Even before the survey and report are started, certain broad agreements emerged after studying the map:
1. Three auto-manual signals to be erected by NKDA in the first phase (Jatragachi Bridge, Jagardanga Crossing and Akankshya More)
2. Auto Number Plate Recognition and Red Light Violation Detection devices to be installed by NKDA at three points (New Town Bus Terminus, Rabindra Tirtha junction and Chinar Park Crossing)
3. CCTVs to be installed by Police at six points (City Centre 2, Box Bringe entry, Jatragachi phari, Nawabpur crossing, Axis Mall Crossing and in front of Unitech)
4. Four bus bays to be constructed by Hidco (Nawabpur Crossing, City Centre 2, Noapara Crossing and Unitech frontage)
5. Rubberised rumble strips at few points on Service Roads
6. Height barriers at some entry points
7. Restriction on entry of lorries in New Town between 6am to 9pm in general.
8. Identification of Bus / Lorry Parking ground area for night parking.
* * *
|Khabar 365 dt 28 August 2016|
|ToI dt 28 August 2016|