Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Creative Painting in BSUP Schemes.

Under JnNRUM's BSUP (Basic Services for the Urban Poor) scheme, housing is being built in slums. Already 32,000 such 'DUs' (Dwelling Units) have been built. Whenever I go to the BSUP sites, I advise the engineers and officers to be imaginative and creative - a bit f landscaping, a bit of vibrant painting: my favourite example being: 'Imagine all houses coloured white, and suddenly, some walls are maroon, or navy blue..it doesn't cost anything other than what has been already provided for, except a bit of personal interest"

But I was not prepared for what my friend Avik Chattopadhyay sent me from Brazil:

This is what their website favelapainting.com says:

"In 2006, the Dutch artist duo Haas&Hahn started developing the idea of creating community-driven art interventions in Brazil. Their efforts yielded two murals which were painted in Vila Cruzeiro, Rio's most notorious slum, in collaboration with local youth. The artworks received worldwide coverage and have become points of pride in the community and throughout Rio."

Thanks, Avik for the information. I'll circulate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment