Sunday, July 4, 2010

JICA Sponsored Solid Waste Management

I went to several Municipalities yesterday to see how the JICA sponsored Solid Waste Management Programme was going on. I found that people were quite aware that garbage needs to be seggregated at source (at homes) into perishable and non-perishable bins. A good IEC activity is being organised and at a meeting in Serampore, I asked the volunteers how the last day went and the co-ordinators how they plan to spend the next seven days.




The main trouble is that the awareness programme is lagging behind the engineering plan. Thus Solid Waste separation has lost significance since they are dumped together in the traditional manner.

I advised the facilitators to make a convergence with BSUP programme since our department is also engaged in building new houses for slum dwellers in each of these municipal towns under BSUP (Basic Services for the Urban Poor). I suggested that they may try propagating other useful messages that will contribute to a clean environment. Tracking mass events like picnics, weddings etc and creating awareness on proper disposal of wastes would be a good idea.

I told the engineering wing to speed up work.

(Picture above is that of the volunteer-facilitators in a meeting at Serampore. Taken on my E63 mobile)

No comments:

Post a Comment