Friday, July 23, 2010

Save Ganga

I attended a truncated meeting of the NGRBA (National Ganga River Basin Authority) at Delhi today. It was very interesting listening to the passionate views of the "experts" or "non-official members". I agreed wholeheartedly with one of the points borne out: that to save Ganga, only engineering or infrastructure (Sewerage Treatment Plant etc) would not do; a plan to involve community participation and civil society should go hand in hand. I talked about a special campaign on the lines of 'Incredible India'. I intend to send a special project soon.

A reference was made by the Union Minister of one activist-member protesting a project in Uttakhand. The link to a Hindu story that came up is as follows:
http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/19/stories/2010071959070500.htm

* * *
I met the Union Minister Mr Jairam Ramesh face to face yesterday and again today. He is one of the few ministers that I've come across who uses laptop on his office table himself. I quite admired him on the whole.

(Posted at Delhi Airport using HP Mini & Tata Photon+)

1 comment:

  1. Met Mr Jairam Ramesh (Will return to Kolkata today evening)

    ReplyDelete