Saturday, July 3, 2010

Working Women's Hostel

There are two working Women's Hostel run by KIT. I visited both yesterday. I think it is a very useful concept, providing a temporary accommodation to young women from the districts who have got a job but have no base in Kolkata.
I, however, had a feeling that these institutions are caught in a time warp: situation is as was three or four decades ago. Even the inmates are often in the same place for ten or more years. There is a need for maintenance too.

I think we need to modernise. We need to infuse life. We need to confine our loyalty to the core group of young job workers.

I've asked KIT's architect to create a modern environment. I've asked the Chief Engineer to do a proper repair. I've asked the Estate Manager to organise cultural events. I've asked OSD,KIT to make the hostels lively and make new rules.

The hostels are at Bagbazar and Christopher Lane (in Entally area). The picture above is the entrance to the Baghbazar Working Women's Hostel

2 comments:

  1. As desired by the Principal Secretary to the Government of West Bengal, Urban Development Department the necessary Rules & Regulations for the Boarders have been drafted and sent to the Department for approval. Moreover for optimum utilisation of the said infrastructure some proposals have been mooted for approval. Repair of one of the Hostels is going to be taken up shortly.

    ReplyDelete