- Cost of solar energy module often pays for itself in 5-6 years. The Solar Panel is often guaranteed for 25 years by the manufacturer.
- One needs 120 sq ft of space for 1 kilo watt energy generation
- A rooftop solar hot water costs Rs 25,000 or so.
It also lists out initiatives - private and public - already taken in New Town. Some examples:
- 500 KW canal-top solar energy project by NKDA (ongoing; located near Banglar Haat / Eco Park)
- 140 KW rooftop system in Coal India Bhavan (close to Najrul Tirtha)
- 2% of demand by solar power: Tata Housing, Sankar Netrlaya, Surakshya, Sampurna Husing Co-operative, Santiniketan Housing Co-operative, etc.
Here is an illustration contained in the book:
|Cartoon by Chandi Lahiri on booklet on Solar City|
Incidentally, we from NKDA have also decided to install solar rooftop power plants at CG Community Market (peak power 27 KW), IA Community Market (19 KW), Hidco Bhavan (13 KW), Finance Centre (21 KW) and NKDA Office (10 KW). Uttam Jana, Superintending Engineer tellsme that he expects to start work in these projects this month.
In IA market, one stall (bearing number S25) has been earmarked for selling solar energy products.
Allotment would be made through lottery among agencies recognized by MNRE.
* * *
Here are a few clippings:
|The Statesman dt 4 Nov 2014|
|Ekdin dt 4 Nov 2014|
|HT dt 3 Nov 2014|
|Times of India dt 3 Nov 2014|
|Telegraph Metro dt 3 Nov 2014|
|Ei Samay dt 3 Nov 2014|
|Khabar 365 dt 3 Nov 2014|
|Pratidin dt 3 Nov 2014|