Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Climate Change Impact and Adaptation in Kolkata

I attended a workshop by World Bank today. It focussed on the impact of Climate Change in Kolkata. Its inaugural session was chaired by Chief Secretary. I chaired one of the technical sessions.
Met Dr Subhendu Roy there who is a Consultant in this project. Dr Roy was in the IAS earlier (1977 batch, I think) but has now resigned and is settled in Boston.
It was great learning of the mathematical models and economic analysis. I was relieved that the projections don't say that Kolkata would be submerged by rising sea level! But I thought concentrating on measures to reduce CO2 emissions should also have been discussed.
In this connection, I quote a few lines from the latest report by McKinsey (April 2010) titled "Ïndia's Urban Awakening: Building Inclusive Cities, Sustaining Economic Growth":
'...Reduce vehicle emissions through greater use of public transportation, improving vehicle efficiency and use of electric vehicles.
...Reduce emissions by reducing energy consumption in buildings, appliances, lamps and street lights.
...Improve city design to develop energy efficient clusters"

I think it makes a lot of sense.
-DS

No comments:

Post a Comment