Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Reviving Rabindra Sarobar


We had a metting of the Monitoring Committee of Rabindra Sarovar yesterday. I was happy to note that so many citizens and organisations had come forward to revive Rabindra Sadan. One spekaer said that he was happy to get the opportunity to do work in the Lake. I found few organisations doing good work. Besides KIT and PWD, even the Kolkakata Police's work were appreciated by the citizens.
I remarked that the government would network to do do what it can. I said that the Master Plan prepared by Jadavpur University should be obeyed by all. Someone commented that few elements of the Master Plan may be reviewed. I told that while we could surely revisit a few details, there should be broad conformity to its beautification scheme.
The hardware component would cost Rs 50 crores. We can implement in parts, with various voluntay contributions.
On the software side, there could be citizen groups spreading awareness on decency, environment and respect or others' sentiments. I recalled the ways of Lagey Raho Munnabhai.
I called for a website for networking, for spreading news, for registering suggestions, for pledging support. There was an immediate response: a member agreed to volunteer to host a website.
I'll write to him today to finalise details.
-DS

5 comments:

  1. I've since moved a file to include Rabindra Sarovar Rejuvenation under the "heritage" category of JnNRUM.
    Let's see how it proceeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rabindra Sarobar Monitoring Committee indicated that they'd organise a walk on 21 Aug to raise awareness for a clean & green lake.
    I sent them a message to state that I supported it. I also linked it with the Clean Kolkata campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Times of India today at:
    http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JS00vMjAxMC8wOC8yMiNBcjAwMzA4&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom
    -DS

    ReplyDelete