Last year, soon after the Puja festival, we organised Cultural Meets among various housing / block associations of New Town. Children and grown-ups displayed their best performances from their community pujas to an audience that cut across the entire New Town. There was such an enthusiasm that it was difficult fitting in all requests.
Now a year has passed by. The Eco Park is drawing attention from all over Kolkata and beyond. Nearly 2 lakh visitors have already set in their foot in the Park that is barely few months old. The blue autumn skies are round the corner in Kolkata, to be followed by the Kolkata's Winter of melas and fairs. In this season, I am trying to make New Town Kolkata join in.
Here are a few events that we are planning:
1. Agamani Gaan (Rabindra Tirtha, 29th September)
2. Chess competition (Opposite Eco Park, Finance Centre Building, 1-2 Oct 2013)
3. Pujar Adda (Rabindra Tirtha)
4. Remote controlled aircraft model display (Eco Park, 4th Oct, Mahalaya)
5. Car race in go-kart formation (Eco Park Car Park, 6th Oct)
6. Exhibition Rugby match (Action Area I, 9 Nov)
7. Post Puja Sanmelan (26-27 Oct)
8. Grafitti Workshop
9. New Town Mela (23 Oct - 3 Nov)
10. Musical Carnival (21-31 December)
11. Children's Film Premier (December, Eco Park)
12. Car Race in laps (Action Area II, January 2014)
13. Children's Film Festival (January 2014, Rabindra Tirtha)
14. Kite Festival (4-5 Jan 2014)
As may be seen, some programmes are in the process of being finalised. There would be additions and deletions, alterations and postponements. However, I believe that New Town Kolkata would definitely be a destination that will be difficult to ignore.
* * *
Here is a cutting from Ekdin that I came across: