It seems there is some confusion about the postal system in New Town. To understand, I held a meeting with the Senior Superintendent of Post Offices recently. I learnt many things.
- Action Area I is swerved by the Tarulia Post Office. The PIN Code is 700156\
- Action Area II is served by few sub post offices situated outside the New Town boundary. The PIN is 700157.
- The Postal Authorities are looking at setting up 3 post offices in the three Action Areas. They want rentable space urgently. I have offered them to set up the main post office within Hidco Bhavan Complex (in the annexe building). If they agree finally, this will be posed in the next Board meeting. In Action Area II, NKDA officers are helping them find out a suitable room from a housing society on rent. In Action Area III, we will see if a solution can evolve in or near the Vocational Training Centre.
- A new post office building will be constructed on a 5 kottah plot in Action Area I.
- The entire system will be consolidated as soon as the three locations are finalised.
* * *
At present, New Town is served by three police stations: (i) New town Police Station (the major area) (ii) Airport PS (in Action Area II) and (iii) Kolkata Leather Complex PS (in Action Area III, in South 24-Paraganas). We will make an appeal to the Home Department to see if the process of bringing it all together can begin. I'd started a proposal some time back and now we'd again follow it up.
* * *
At the end of Action Area II, on way to airport, one crosses the Rajarhat Road near Chinar Park. This Rajarhat Road, through which bus 211 travels, will be strengthened and repaired - from VIP Road crossing (Jora Mandir) to Rajarhat More - a distance of 8 km. Today, a meeting was held today at the chamber of Minister of PWD where Minister of Transport was also there besides me, Principal Secretary Transport Alapan Bandyopadhyay and Indevar Pandey, Principal Secretary PWD. It was decided that the cost would be shared by Hidco, PWD and Transport Departments.
* * *
A puja publication offered to carry a publicity material on Eco Park at no cost. We took the opportunity to highlight the Eco Cart that we recently introduced. Krishnendu Basak, General Manager Hidco urged Crayons to do a special photo shoot. Here is the output :
Here is a clipping from Ekdin newspaper: